Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Trapped Behind the Yellow Wallpaper.

The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Gilman is by far the strangest story we have discussed so far. The story deals with psychological disorders, feminism, marriage, and the feeling of entrapment. What I found most interesting about The Yellow Wallpaper was the way John treated his wife. He is controlling, talks down to her, and treats her like a child. What is interesting is her husband is also her doctor. In the story the narrator is suffering from a mental illness and no one- especially her husband- seems to take her condition seriously, she is suffering alone. Gilman hides behind the yellow wallpaper and is disconnected with reality.

In the end when she 'creeps' over her husband she says, "Why should that man have fainted?" I found it strange that she referred to her husband as that man. Why didn't she say "my husband" or "John". After reading the story I asked myself those questions and I came to the conclusion that she did not recognize her own husband. In the beginning she said her husband was compassionate and caring, but his actions in the story did not show compassion or care. Because of the way he was treating her she did not recognize him.




Print this post

2 comments:

  1. That point there with her husband fainting and not realizing it was him, very good reading. I wasn't paying attention to the hidden meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do agree with you that the story displays psychological disorders, feminism, and the feeling of entrapment. The barred windows displas the entrapment of Catharine. Her husband does talk down to her. I think it's because during the time period of when the story was written, husbands had no respect for their wives. I don't see how she is hiding beind the wallpaper.

    ReplyDelete